Welcome to the UK federation Information Centre
Here is a glossary of terms.
- For information on training events, please visit Jisc Training.
Please note: some of the links in this section are to copies of historical documents in the Internet Archive. These are marked thus: "(IA)"
- WAYF log-in terminology advice (IA)
- JISC Technical Pre-requisite Guide (for IdPs) (IA)
- Third Party Providers of Federated Access Management Solutions (IA) (our 3rd party support page is more up-to-date)
- Libraries briefing paper (IA)
- Federation overview ( 483KB)
- Federated access management for schools ( 1.62MB)
- JISC Briefing Paper for IdPs (IA)
- JISC Briefing Paper for Service Providers (IA)
- Becta Briefing Paper for IdPs (IA)
- JISC Business Case (IA)
- JISC Roadmap (IA)
- Application Process Map (IA)
- SP Standard Charge Membership Form
UK federation Service Documents
Here is a list of documents used as the basis of federation services.
- Rules of membership for the federation (updated January 2022) - updated! - sets out the framework of trust that binds together members of the federation.
- Recommendations for use of personal data (updated May 2018). The federation is designed to protect the privacy of the user while giving service providers and member organisations sufficient assurance that requirements such as licenses and acceptable use policies can be enforced. The Shibboleth architecture, chosen for the federation, is designed to protect user privacy. (Updated 2018-05 to include text on GDPR)
- Technical recommendations for participants, v1.6, July 2021 , is primarily aimed at technical staff involved in designing services or deploying software for use in the UK federation.
There are also two documents of relevance to the schools sector, which will be subsumed within a later version:
- The Federation technical specifications, v1.6, July 2021 specifies the federation’s technical architecture in more detail, including the rationale behind some of the technical choices made.
- Federation operator procedures - (updated July 2019) ( 118KB), sets out details on enrolment, certificate authority qualification and support services being provided by the federation operator.
- The UK federation's Metadata Registration Practice Statement describes our requirements for metadata that we register.
- This eligibility policy defines the types of membership available to organisations wishing to join the UK Access Management Federation.
Last updated 2008 so most likely of historical interest only
It is planned to release further documents to help sites implement their federation systems. These will be published here in due course. A draft of the first of these, on the deployment of identity providers ( 337KB), is included here.
Last updated 2007 so most likely of historical interest only
Here is a page containing links to presentations of interest to federation members or prospective members.
- Introduction to the UK federation ( 843kb)
Downloadable sound file (mp3, 8.2Mb), or video presentation
- Options for joining the federation ( 228kb)
sound file (mp3, 6.4Mb), or video presentation
- Technical requirements for the UK federation ( 88kb)
sound file (mp3, 11.8Mb), or video presentation
- Protecting User Privacy and Publisher Rights ( 142kb)
- Policy requirement for joining the UK federation ( 61kb)
sound file (mp3, 11.1Mb), or video presentation
- Deploying Federated Access Management in FE: Case Study – Building the Business Case, Will Davidson, Halesowen College video presentation
- Deploying federated access management using the Shibb-on-Windows quick installer – Colin Bruce, Coventry University video presentation
- The JISC Federated Access Management animation
- Presentations made at the meeting of the Scottish Federated Access Management Forum (McShib).
Other presentations are available on the JISC Slideshow page
Anecdotal Case Studies from the Community
These case studies, prepared by member organisations of the UK federation, are provided for information purposes only and reflect the particular arrangements and experience of those concerned.
- Shibboleth 1 to 2 IdP Migration ( 193kb)
- Shibboleth 2 & ISA 2006 ( 212kb)
- Shibboleth 2 & Google Apps Integration ( 365kb)
- Leicestershire Library Services for Education and JISC Collections for Schools ( 333kb)
Access Management - Higher Education
- Brighton & Sussex Medical School ( 302kb)
- Cardiff University ( 310kb)
- Kingston University ( 323kb)
- Sussex University ( 284kb)
- University of Brighton ( 310kb)
- University of Dundee ( 399kb)
- Colin Bruce, Coventry University - Deployment Video recording
Access Management - Further Education
- Halesowen College ( 293kb)
- West Nottinghamshire College ( 311kb)
- Will Davidson, Halesowen College: – Building the Business Case Video recording
- RSC East Midlands case study Link to external website
Access Management - Schools Sector
- GLOW Scotland presentation (9Mb, mp3 file) with transcript ( 60kb)
- BECTA education policy and simplified SSO ( 117kb)
- Worcestershire Local Authority ( 319kb)
- East Midlands Broadband Consortium ( 314kb)
- South West Grid for Learning ( 297kb)
Access Management - Service Providers
Windows Quick Install
- Birkenhead Sixth Form College ( 286kb)
- C2k ( 214kb)
- Coventry University ( 189kb)
- Edinburgh Telford College ( 158kb)
- Swansea College ( 2Mb)
- Swindon College ( 1Mb)
Guides produced by participants in the Windows Quick Install project
- Integrating a Shibboleth idP with Microsoft Active Directory ( 1.7Mb)
- Sample Security Configuration for a Shibboleth IdP ( 1.1Mb)
- Best Practice Guidance ( 178kb)
- Creating and installing SSL certificates ( 186kb)
- Quick Install IdP LDAP ( 189kb)
- Shibboleth Configuration files ( 212kb)
- Shibboleth Installation ( 903kb)
You can get a list of all the pages by clicking here. If you want to find out what has changed recently, visit RecentChanges. Alternatively, there are RSS feeds you can use with a news aggregator to see federation news, when new pages are created or information on new Service Providers.