Privacy and Cookies Policy
The UK Access Management Federation for Education and Research is operated by JISC Collections in partnership with EDINA, University of Edinburgh. The UK federation provides a single solution to accessing online resources and services for education and research.We are committed to preserving your privacy.
Please read the following carefully to understand how we use and protect the information obtained from those using the sites or services that the UK federation provides ("the Services and the Sites").
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 ("the Act"), the data controller is the Higher Education Funding Council England, Northavon House, Coldharbour Lane, Bristol, BS16 1QD.
Information we may collect from you
We may collect and process data about you:
- When you provide us with your personal details (such as your name, telephone number and e-mail addresses) by registering to use any Service, registering as an institutional service representative, when you fill in any forms on any Site, when you report a problem to us or if you submit an enquiry to us relating to any Site or Service.
- When you respond to any surveys which, for research purposes, we may ask you to complete.
- From your usage of any Site or any Service and data that you post on any Site or Service, e-mail to us or send to us.
Use of your information
We use your information:
- To enable us to supply you with the Services and information which you have requested.
- To ensure that the Services, and any other content from any Site, is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- To contact you about resources you have deposited within a Service.
- To analyse the information we collect for service usage purposes and so that we can administer, support, improve and develop the Sites and the Services.
- To provide you with information, products or services which we feel may interest you, where you have consented to be contacted for such purposes.
- To notify you about changes to any Service.
We may contact you by post, telephone, fax or e-mail. If you change your mind about being contacted in the future by any of these means, then please let us know.
Disclosure of your information
Unless required or permitted to do so by law, we will not otherwise share, sell or distribute any of the information you provide to us without your consent.
We may collect information about your computer, including where available your IP address, operating system and browser type, for the purposes of system administration and service usage analysis. This information is statistical data about users' browsing actions and patterns and is not used to identify any individual. However, this information may be used by your own institution for usage analysis purposes.
A cookie is a small file of letters and numbers that we store on your device if you agree. The Central Discovery Service (WAYF) uses a cookie to remember your choice of host institution. This cookie enables us to store information about your choice of host institution, and so allow us to customise the Site by creating a shortcut to your choice of home institution.
We employ security measures to protect your information from access by unauthorised persons and against unlawful processing, accidental loss, destruction or damage.
Please help us keep our records updated by informing us of any changes to your e-mail address and other contact details.
You have the right to ask for a copy of the personal information about you which is held by us in our records, in return for which we are permitted to charge a small fee.
The Sites may, from time to time, contain links to websites of third parties. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
If you have any queries concerning your personal information or any questions on our use of the information, then please contact the UK federation helpdesk at email@example.com.
Types of Cookies We Use
We set a cookie in the Central Discovery Service to remember your choice of home institution.This allows us to present a shortcut to your identity provider when you next visit the Central Discovery Service.
This cookie is placed on your device by the UK federation and is retained in your browser for six months.
How to block cookies
You can restrict or block cookies which are set during your use of the website by changing your browser's settings. Some pages may not work if you completely disable cookies, but many third party cookies can be safely blocked.
Check information in your browser's help section for specific instructions on how to manage cookies. Alternatively, websites such as "All About Cookies" provide comprehensive guidance.
Cookies set across the UK federation Services and Sites
We set the following cookies.
|Cookie||Cookie name(s)||Data stored||When does it expire?||Description|
|Discovery History Cookie||_saml_idp||Character string.||This cookie expires 6 months after your last visit to the website.||This cookie enables us to store information about your host institution, and so allow us to customise the Site by creating a shortcut to your home institution.|
|Session ID||JSESSIONID||A random unique number or string of letters and numbers.||A session cookie is required to follow your progress through the Services and Sites. It is essential to ensure that any information you enter or routes you take are remembered by the Services and Sites. Without this cookie, every page you visited would treat you as a completely new visitor. This cookie does not identify you personally and is not linked to any other information we store about you.|