UK Federation Technical Documents
Five documents are presented as the basis of federation services.
- The first document in the series, rules of membership for the federation ( 288KB), sets out the contractual framework of trust that binds together members of the federation. Members are required to provide accurate data, observe best practice in relation to the exchange and processing of data, and abide by the technical specification for the service.
- The second document provides recommendations for use of personal data ( 109KB). The federation is designed to protect the privacy of the user while giving service providers and member organisations sufficient assurance that requirements such as licenses and acceptable use policies can be enforced. The Shibboleth architecture, chosen for the federation, is designed to protect user privacy.
- The third document, technical recommendations for participants ( 337KB), specifies the federation technical architecture in detail, including the rationale behind some of the technical choices made.
There are also two documents of relevance to the schools sector, which will be subsumed within a later version:
- The fourth document outlines the federation technical specifications ( 268KB). This sets out the trust fabric that is used within the federation based on PKI technology, using digital certificates.
- The fifth document, federation operator procedures ( 220KB), sets out details on enrolment, certificate authority qualification and support services being provided by the federation operator.
- A sixth document covers the UK federation's Metadata Registration Practice Statement.
It is planned to release further documents to help sites implement their federation systems. These will be published here in due course. A draft of the first of these, on the deployment of identity providers ( 337KB), is included here.
Here is a page containing links to presentations of interest to federation members or prospective members.